Operations & Community Manager, EPIC Accelerator (anticipated opening)
Application deadline: December 6, 2020
Contract type: FT (5 days/40 hours per week)
Job Location: Yerevan, Armenia
The Entrepreneurship and Product Innovation Center (EPIC) is the business venture and start-up incubator/accelerator of American University of Armenia (AUA). Started in 2017, EPIC provides an ecosystem for emerging entrepreneurs from both inside and outside of AUA. Teams made up of AUA students and outside entrepreneurs compete to enter EPIC where they receive further entrepreneurial education, mentorship, and other resources to grow and advance their start-ups. EPIC also sponsors lectures, conferences, hackathons, entrepreneurial development programs, and maintains a sophisticated prototyping and reverse-engineering laboratory in the basement of AUA’s main building. The EPIC accelerator will complement the existing EPIC incubator by offering a longer runway for startups to extend venture-building with a more focused, tailored approach using the existing assets of EPIC and AUA through education, training, mentorship, investment, and links to global accelerator and investor networks. This position will provide extraordinary opportunity to have a direct influence in nurturing the next generation of Armenian startups and entrepreneurs. S/He will be interacting with entrepreneurs on a daily basis, supporting the successful functioning of the nascent accelerator program at EPIC.
The position has three major dimensions:
- Plan, oversee, and manage the day-to-day operations of the program, the resources and the facilities including logistics, scheduling, daily queries as an interface for both internal and external teams in consultation with the supervisor.
- Organize the accelerator program activities and its various stages:
- Scouting: identifying and engaging budding startups in the ecosystem;
- Application: leading PR and marketing activities;
- Selection: organizing and facilitating selection days and related events;
- The program: running all aspects of the accelerator program, coordinating appointments with mentors and other parties, contacting sponsors and investors, coordinating events, etc.
- Interact with startups, mentors, investors, program partners and advisory board members as required throughout the program to ensure its successful execution.
- Organize and coordinate (together with other EPIC staff) all program events and activities such as pitch days, selection days, demo days, launch events, fireside chats, entrepreneurship hacks nights, workshops, open house, and other events.
- Hire, onboard, train and supervise a small team of support personnel.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by the supervisor.
- Initiate, develop, maintain, and enhance the accelerator’s community; e.g., mentors, alumni, investors, etc.
- Maintain ongoing communication with the local ecosystem, organize and attend relevant meetups to drive engagement and increase the accelerator’s visibility and reach.
- Formulate compelling content and drive presence on social media channels to drive applications from startups.
- Forge partnerships with other organizations in Armenia and abroad for providing services and support to the EPIC Accelerator and other programs.
- Cooperate with and engage the program partners and also various internal AUA entities.
- Give external presentations about the accelerator as required, representing the accelerator’s leadership, the founding partners, and coordinate interactions with media.
Program Strategy Support
- Support the accelerator leadership team in:
- Revising and updating the accelerator strategy and supporting evolution and continuous improvement of the program;
- Designing processes, playbooks, and policies to standardize and scale the program;
- Partnership building with government agencies, industry experts, and outside organizations to improve the quality, scope, and delivery of program;
- Identifying ways to incorporate the program into other business lines and explore new opportunities.
- Continually revise and maintain a flexible curriculum that is aligned with current best practices and evolution of the ecosystem.
- Design and administer surveys and other assessment tools to capture and analyze data for program planning, decision-making, and reporting. Develop and support KPIs to help guide constant improvement.
- 3+ years of work experience in fast-paced environments with a focus on business operations, project or program management.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher. Master’s degree would be a plus. A degree in business or MBA would be preferred.
- Familiarity with and/or a strong interest in the start-up scene and the entrepreneurship ecosystem.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills both in English and Armenian. Knowledge of Russian is an asset.
- Experience in working or studying overseas would be viewed favorably -especially in the startup realm.
- Excellent organizational, management, team and people skills.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically about business, product, and technical challenges, and support data-driven decision-making.
- Ability to think creatively and independently to solve complex problems and to work without being closely managed with a demonstrated ability to produce exceptional results with limited
- Strong public speaking skills.
How to apply: A letter of intent, Curriculum Vitae with the names and contact information for three referees should be sent to [email protected] with the subject heading “EPIC Operations & Community Manager”. Applications must be received by December 6, 2020 to be considered. Only shortlisted applicants will be notified for interview.
AUA is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an active non-discrimination program within the institution