Junior GIS Expert
Organization: American University of Armenia (AUA)
Unit: AUA Acopian Center for the Environment
Project name: Waste Policy Armenia
Position title: Junior Expert (nationals of RA)
Start Date: March 10, 2023
End Date: July 25, 2023
Contract type: Service Contract
Job Location: Yerevan, Armenia
Improving Waste Policy Implementation in Armenia is a 4-year Program aimed at improving Armenia’s waste management sector capacity to implement more environmentally sound waste management practices through:
- Providing technical assistance to RA Government in developing and adopting Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) legislation for several specific waste streams in line with EU Waste legislation and best practices (Program Component 1);
- Providing technical assistance to RA Government in developing a national model on waste source separation and introducing it as a system in a pilot municipality (Program Component 2);
- Building sector capacities to implement Component 1 and Component 2, as well as to scale up the achieved results (Program Component 3).
The Program supports the implementation of several provisions set in the Comprehensive and Enhanced Partnership Agreement (CEPA) signed between EU and RA, as well as several provisions regarding “Waste management strategy and its implementation action plan” of the RA Government Program for 2021-2026.
The Program’s principal partners and beneficiaries are the RA Ministry of Environment (MoE), RA Ministry of Territorial Administration and Infrastructure (MTAI), and a target municipality to be selected from Kotayk or Gegharkunik provinces.
The present assignment aims to support the local governments in developing and introducing source separation of Municipal Solid Waste (MSW) in municipalities through building capacity for developing collection schemes for source-separated MSW by use of Public Participation GIS tools (Program Work Package 2.2.1 - Developing collection schemes for source-separated collection of MSW). The assignment aims at the following outputs:
- Methodology for Identifying the locations for sorting bins by use of Public Participation GIS tools
- Report on Identified number and locations for waste sorting bins in the Town of Sevan
- Guideline on Identifying the locations for sorting bins by use of Public Participation GIS tools
- Identified optimal routes for sorted collection.
Scope of work of the Junior GIS expert
Under guidance of the Program Manager and key Senior Experts, the Junior Expert will support the successful delivery of Program Work Package 2.2.1 through performing the following:
- Conduct background research on available data and existing gaps, collect information about main waste generators
- Participate in the questionnaire development
- Take part in the training activities for field researchers
- Support data processing and analysis
- Support the preparation of guideline and final report.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Environmental Studies, Engineering, or related fields, or in their absence, demonstrated experience or knowledge in the related fields;
- Solid understanding of the fundamentals of GIS, tools, technologies, and applications;
- Knowledge and at least 2 years of experience with GIS software: ESRI suite (ArcGIS Desktop, ArcGIS Online), QGIS
- Effective interpersonal, management and negotiation skills proven through successful interaction with stakeholders, including government officials, regional/local authorities, experts and NGOs/communities;
- Strong analytical, reporting and writing skills, including ability to produce high quality practical reports and knowledge products;
- Fluency in Armenian and English; ability to write clearly and concisely in both languages; and
- Integrity and ethical standards, positive, with constructive attitude to work;
Application process: Inquiries, nominations and applications will be treated confidentially. Review of all applications will begin after March 15, 2023. Applications that arrive later may be considered at the discretion of the search committee until the positions are filled.
Applicants must submit a letter of interest detailing their qualifications for the position and research agenda, a Curriculum Vitae, and the names, addresses, telephone numbers, and email addresses of three to five references that have firsthand knowledge of the applicant's potential for career. All documents should be submitted electronically to [email protected] with the subject heading “Junior GIS Expert” until March 15, 2023. Only shortlisted applicants will be notified for interview
AUA is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an active non-discrimination program within the institution.