International Waste Management Expert(s) (hazardous, WEEE, automotive, C/D, biological), AUA Acopian Center for the Environment
Project name: Mobilizing the Private-Sector to Advance Responsible Consumption and Production in Armenia: Inception phase.
Contract type: Service contract (Part-time)
Start date: June 21, 2021
End date: February 28, 2022
Job Location: Yerevan, Armenia (If Consultant(s) are not in Armenia, remote engagement is possible)
Mobilizing the Private-Sector to Advance Responsible Consumption and Production in Armenia: Inception Phase Project (hereinafter Project) is implemented by the American University of Armenia with funding from the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida). The overall objective of the Project is to understand Armenia’s waste market systems and directions in which these market systems can be supported and activated. The project will particularly focus on improving these market systems while reducing poverty, assessed multidimensionally. This Project will examine the market systems for waste management in 6 sub-systems (municipal, agricultural, WEEE and portable batteries, automotive, construction/demolition, industrial (non-mining) in Armenia and identify feasible interventions to improve the current functions and rules of the subsystems. The objectives of improving the market systems shall include increased amount of waste diverted from landfills, increased value from recovered waste, reduced negative impact from hazardous wastes among others. Based on the inception phase results, a proposal for a multi-year program to effectuate change will be developed.
Scope of work under this ToR:
- Provide analytical framework for the waste sub-systems of hazardous, WEEE, automotive, C/D, and biological waste;
- Review and provide critical comments and feedback on the analyses of Armenia’s waste management system (hazardous, WEEE, automotive, C/D, biological waste) conducted by the local project experts;
- Work with the International Consultant on Market Systems Analysis to develop the methodology for waste market systems analysis;
- Work with other project experts to identify synergies across different waste market systems;
- Contribute to the development of the Implementation Phase Proposal of the project; and
- Contribute to the stakeholder engagement process.
Expected Outputs and Deliverables
- Methodology for including submarket systems in the market systems analysis to be conducted for the Inception Phase;
- Oversight and written feedback on the market systems analysis for individual subsystems (waste streams) conducted by the local project experts
- Written input on the interventions design
- Participation and presentations in expert workshops and meetings
- PhD (or equivalent work experience) in Environmental Engineering, Science, Planning or related fields with a focus on sustainable development, circular economy, and the like. The PhD requirement may be waived if the candidate has substantial relevant professional experience.
- Minimum 7 years of experience working in the waste management sector with a focus on hazardous, WEEE, automotive, C/D, biological waste in developing or transitional economies; and
- Ability to produce clear, well-written reports in English for a diverse audience including national and local authorities, private sector actors, civil society groups, etc.
How to apply: A brief letter of intent and a Curriculum Vitae should be sent to [email protected] with the subject heading “International Waste Management Expert”. Applications must be received by July 4, 2021 to be considered. Only shortlisted applicants will be notified for interview.
AUA is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an active non-discrimination program within the institution