International Consultant on Market Systems Analysis, AUA Acopian Center for the Environment
Project name: Mobilizing the Private-Sector to Advance Responsible Consumption and Production in Armenia: Inception phase.
Contract type: Service contract (Part-time)
Start date: June 21, 2021
End date: February 28, 2022
Job Location: Yerevan, Armenia
Mobilizing the Private-Sector to Advance Responsible Consumption and Production in Armenia: Inception Phase Project (hereinafter Project) is implemented by the American University of Armenia with funding from the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida). The overall objective of the Project is to understand Armenia’s waste market systems and directions in which these market systems can be supported and activated. The project will particularly focus on improving these market systems while reducing poverty, assessed multidimensionally. This Project will examine the market systems for waste management in 6 sub-systems (municipal, agricultural, WEEE and portable batteries, automotive, construction/demolition, industrial (non-mining) in Armenia and identify feasible interventions to improve the current functions and rules of the subsystems. The objectives of improving the market systems shall include increased amount of waste diverted from landfills, increased value from recovered waste, reduced negative impact from hazardous wastes among others. Based on the inception phase results, a proposal for a multi-year program to effectuate change will be developed.
Scope of work under this ToR:
The aim of the engagement will be to support the project team in developing a market systems approach and conduct analysis of Armenia’s waste management sector for a longer-term multi-year program. The Consultant shall support the project team through:
- Developing a methodology for market systems analysis for reducing waste generation, reducing flow of waste to landfills, and better management of hazardous waste;
- Providing guidance and feedback on conducting analysis of 6 waste sub-market systems identified above; and
- Designing interventions to meet the project objectives based on market systems development approach.
Expected Outputs and Deliverables
- Methodology for market systems analysis;
- Introductory presentation(s) on market systems development approach for the local project experts;
- Written feedback on the market systems analysis for individual subsystems (waste streams) conducted by the local project experts;
- Written input on the interventions design; and
- Participation and presentations in expert workshops and meetings.
- Master’s Degree or above in business, economics, environmental or ecological engineering, or discipline relating to waste management;
- Minimum of five years’ experience in conducting market systems assessments and projects;
- Specialized expertise in strategic planning of environmental, business, and livelihoods/ development initiatives;
- Knowledge and understanding of cutting-edge methodologies of developing sustainable market systems;
- Knowledge and experience with Market Systems Development Approach
- Proven track record of ability to work with stakeholder with various degrees of sophistication and understanding waste markets; and
- Ability to produce clear, well-written reports in English for a diverse audience including national and local authorities, private sector actors, and civil society groups, etc.
How to apply: A brief letter of intent and a Curriculum Vitae should be sent to [email protected] with the subject heading “International Consultant on Market Systems Analysis”. Applications must be received by July 4, 2021 to be considered. Only shortlisted applicants will be notified for interview.
AUA is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an active non-discrimination program within the institution