Director of Open Education
Thirty years ago, with its founding, the American University of Armenia (AUA) opened an Extension office to provide English education in the regions, understanding that the first American university in the former Soviet Union would need English speakers to thrive. Today, the extension office is renamed Open Education because it provides regional access to AUA in programs as diverse as English, hospitality and tourism, business development, and entrepreneurship. Open Education seeks to serve regional communities by providing accessible, high-quality training and development opportunities to Armenia, Artsakh and Georgia, and provides the critical infrastructure needed to support academic and professional outreach.
AUA is building six Open Centers of Excellence in Innovation Advancement, Artificial Intelligence Solutions, Transformative Health Care Solutions, Leadership and Governance, Environment, and Systems Thinking to enhance research and outreach in the regions. These Open Centers complement the disciplinary capacities in our colleges and are designed to help AUA scholars and outreach professionals address complex problems through Reality Lab education and university/public/private partnerships. Open Education plays a central role in this process by supporting networks and providing the infrastructure needed to bring AUA capacities to the regions.
The American University of Armenia seeks a forward-thinking, imaginative academic professional with experience in extension and outreach. The primary responsibilities of the position are to provide sound judgement, leadership, strategic thinking, and coordination to Open Education staff, and to integrate Open Education with academic faculty and programs in the colleges and the Open Centers of Excellence. The position is unique in the world and gives the successful candidate the opportunity to apply disciplinary expertise, transdisciplinary abilities, and knowledge of extension to the development of the nation and the prosperity of the Armenian people.
The successful candidate will have a thorough understanding of best practices in Open Education (university extension), a background in higher education, and a passion for Armenia. Ideally, the successful candidate will possess a PhD and have the credentials needed for academic rank in the College of Humanities and Social Sciences, College of Business and Economics, College of Science and Engineering, or the School of Public Health. Seasoned professionals with the Master’s degree are encouraged to apply.
Most importantly, the successful applicant must have the ability to administer a complex fiscal environment. Open Education at AUA provides both fee-based training and development opportunities and tuition-based academic programing to Yerevan and the regions. Open Education at AUA is a complex organizations because it is both a cost center and academic infrastructure with a variety funding streams.
- Delivers high-level administrative leadership in programming, financial management, promotion, and marketing of all AUA Open Education operations.
- Serves as a role model in leadership and the creation of a positive working environment for faculty, students, staff, collaborators, and partners.
- Creates and implements clear policies and procedures and ensures that all University policies and procedures are effectively followed.
- Designs continuing education courses and training workshops for the public, solicits and designs courses for specific clients, and works cooperatively with AUA Global-Local Office, Deans, and Directors to extend their expertise to the public.
- Administers contracts and grants in compliance with financial and other policies and procedures of the University.
- Serves on a variety of boards, including the Open Education Advisory Board.
- Participates in strategic planning at the university and develops division level strategic plans for Open Education.
- Submits annual administrative and stewardship reports.
- Teaches courses in Open Education and/or academic programs.
- Works closely with the Deans and Program Chairs in the academic programs to identify learning issues, training needs, as appropriate, in order to develop new course offerings.
- Collaborates closely with the Deans and Program Chairs to develop research-based educational offerings.
- Contributes to teaching and learning in corresponding discipline, modeling teamwork and flexibility to ensure the pedagogical and commercial success.
- Contributes to curriculum, resource, program design, development, management, and review, as required, to ensure excellence in teaching and learning.
- Conducts lectures, tutorials, workshops, practical classes, presentations, and other appropriate learning activities as required.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by the Executive Team of the University.
- Experience in university extension or Open Education appropriate to the level of Director.
- PhD in a relevant academic field to AUA Open Education and academic programs.
- Experience as a faculty member in a degree granting program.
- Experience designing fee-based training and development opportunities.
- Experience in leadership, financial management, promotion and marketing of fee-based training and development programs.
- Ability to travel independently in Armenia. Knowledge of Armenia and its challenges.
How to apply: A letter of intent, Curriculum Vitae with the names and contact information for three referees should be sent to [email protected] with the subject heading “Director of Open Education”. Applications must be received by October 3, 2021 to be considered. Only shortlisted applicants will be notified for interview.
AUA is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an active non-discrimination program within the institution