Dean of the College of Humanities and Social Sciences
The American University of Armenia (AUA) invites applications for the position of Dean, College of Humanities and Social Sciences.
The University: The American University of Armenia is a privately endowed, independent American institution of higher education affiliated with the University of California. Located in Yerevan, the capital of the Republic of Armenia, it has an enrollment of about 2,000 students, including 469 graduate students. It is accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission, 985 Atlantic Avenue, #100, Alameda, CA 94501, (510) 748-9001.
AUA Mission: The American University of Armenia aims to have an impact on students and the community as a center of academic excellence, innovation, inquiry, and diversity that contributes to the further development and advancement of Armenia, the region and the world through teaching and scholarship, fostering creativity, integrity and community service.
AUA Vision: Through its world-class academic programs, research centers, student services, and community outreach, the American University of Armenia will have a transformative impact on people’s social, economic, political and intellectual capacities to meet the challenges of a globalized world. Our faculty and staff will inspire students to advance knowledge and become responsible citizens and leaders in innovation and entrepreneurship.
Open Centers of Excellence: AUA is building six Open Centers of Excellence in Innovation Advancement, Artificial Intelligence Solutions, Transformative Health Care Solutions, Leadership and Governance, Environment, and Systems Thinking to enhance research and outreach in the regions. These Open Centers complement the disciplinary capacities in our colleges and are designed to help AUA scholars and outreach professionals address complex problems through Reality Lab education and university/public/private partnerships. The CHSS Dean plays a central role in this process by supporting networks and providing the disciplinary foundation in which these Open Centers of Excellence are built.
The College of Humanities and Social Sciences (CHSS): The CHSS comprises the MA TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language), MA PSIA (Political Science and International Affairs), LL.M. (Law), MA in Human Rights and Social Justice, BA in English & Communications, BA in Politics and Governance degree programs, as well a number of certificate programs and research centers. See http://chss.aua.am/ for details about these programs and centers. The College has about 1,500 undergraduate students taking bachelor’s and General Education courses, 166 graduate students, 19 full-time and 76 adjunct faculty members. The faculty is engaged in teaching and research that is representative of a diversity of disciplines, educational and cultural experiences.
The Dean of the College of Humanities and Social Sciences reports directly to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs. The Dean of the College of Humanities and Social Sciences is the chief academic and administrative officer of the College. The CHSS Dean:
- provides leadership, oversight and support for all academic programs and research centers within the College, including development and final approval of course schedules and teaching assignments;
- collaborates and builds synergies between academic and research programs of the College;
- leads recruitment and retention of high caliber faculty and program chairs, including implementation of development and performance management models, periodically evaluating each full-time faculty member, advising faculty on their promotion cases and providing recommendation when promotion is considered, providing mentoring to new faculty;
- implements continuous assessment and improvement of the programs, curricula and the quality of teaching and research in the College;
- works toward the retention of students including advising and reviewing grade appeals, student transfer credit requests, withdrawals, and readmission;
- reviews and approves program self-studies conducted within the College for external program review;
- works with senior leadership, colleague deans, program chairs and faculty in the strategic dialog process;
- develops of a vision for the continued expansion of the College, including but not limited to new undergraduate or graduate degree programs, research units, and chairs;
- collaborates with other deans to develop joint programs, cross-listed courses, and research projects;
- develops sound management of the College budget, including approving budgets for the programs and research units within the College;
- holds regular meetings of program chairs and meetings of College faculty;
- teaches one course per semester
- develops relations with external stakeholders of the College, in Armenia and abroad, in order to promote student internships, employment, joint projects and support of all CHSS educational and research activities;
- promotes the activities of CHSS in close coordination with the university’s Communications and Development units;
- maintains close ties with alumni, benefactors and other constituents on issues related to the enhancement of the College and the University;
- provides service on a number of internal councils, such as the Deans Council, and Internal Advisory Board;
- ensures public outreach and community service activities led by College faculty, students, programs and centers; and
- performs other related academic and administrative duties as requested/assigned.
Qualifications: Candidates must have an earned doctorate or other equivalent or higher terminal degree in a field related to the humanities and social sciences; a strong record of research, publication, and teaching; evidence of successful administrative abilities and strong leadership credentials at the dean or department/program chair level. Leading candidates must have a distinguished record of scholarship and a deep commitment to excellence and innovation; demonstrable capacity to advance CHSS’s academic mission and goals, and to engage with students, faculty, staff, alumni and leaders in the private and public sectors. Prior academic experience in an international setting, and knowledge of Armenia, CIS countries, Eastern Europe, and/or the Middle East are preferred.
Requirement: This full-time position requires the incumbent to reside in Armenia.
Compensation: AUA offers competitive compensation and benefits packages.
Application process: Inquiries, nominations and applications will be treated confidentially. Review of all applications received by October 15, 2021 will begin after that date. Applications that arrive later may be considered at the discretion of the search committee. However, applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Applicants must submit a letter of interest detailing their qualifications for the position and their conceptualized vision for CHSS, a Curriculum Vita, and the names, addresses, telephone numbers, and email addresses of three to five references that have firsthand knowledge of the applicant’s academic career and administrative experience. The names of references must be from at least two different internationally recognized institutions of higher education and research. All documents should be submitted electronically to [email protected].
AUA is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an active non-discrimination program within the institution.